Today I spent a few hours in the studio playing around with ideas for my latest series of abstract paintings. If you have been following along with my 30 day blogging adventure, you will have read about how I am working on a series inspired by what it feels like to be home. If not, you can read all about it here.
I'm in the early stages and I am still not completely sure what the series will look like. Today I was working on a big canvas (see above), yesterday I was experimenting with a small mixed media piece on birch wood panel (see below).
For this series, I really want to dig deep and develop a cohesive body of work so I've come up with the following list of things I could do to help me:
- Get out a piece of paper and write whatever comes to my mind when I think of the phrase 'Feels Like Home'. See what messages and symbols come through when I just sit with the idea for a bit.
- Take photographs from around the home and use these as reference images. I've already begun this and you can see some of the photos here.
- Explore what colour palettes remind me of home. Choose what will be the main colours for the whole series.
- Use a different medium to describe my home to someone else e.g. it could be in a song lyric or a poem.
- Use Pinterest to create boards where I can collect things that relate to my home and/or feelings of home.
- Consider what size and medium I'd like to use for the series.
- Create inspiration swatches or thumbnail sketches of colours/marks/compositions etc to help when painting the series.
- Write an evaluation checklist - i.e. a list of questions to ask myself when each painting in the series is complete. You can see one of my previous checklists in this post.
I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into this series. But for now I really must get to bed. I always seem to be blogging late at night. Maybe one day, I'll get in early and write a morning post.
See you again tomorrow Xx